“Minorities” refers to individuals or groups who are citizens or lawful permanent residents of the United States and are of one or more of the following:
1. African-American (a person with origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa)
2. Asian-American (a person with the origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, the Indian Subcontinent or the Pacific Islands)
3. Hispanic/Latino (a person of Spanish culture with origins in Mexico, South Central America, or Puerto Rico, or Cuba or other Spanish origin, regardless of race)
4. Native-American Indian (includes American Indians, American Eskimos, Aleuts, and Native Hawaiians (Native Hawaiians are descendents of persons who lived on the island of Hawaii prior to its discovery by the English).
5. Members of other groups, or other individuals, found to be economically and socially disadvantaged by the Small Business Administration under section 8(a) of the Small Business Act, as amended (15U.S.C. 637(a)).
“MBE- Minority Business Enterprise” is a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or joint venture of which a minimum of 51% is owned by one or more minorities. In the case of a proprietorship or partnership, the minority owner/s must be engaged in the daily management control and operation of the business concern. In the case of a corporation, minority stockholders must be in control of the management and daily business operations, and a majority of the directors must be of the following minority groups: African-American, Asian-American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American Indian, Alaskan Native or members of other minority groups.
“WBE – Woman Business Enterprise” is a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or joint venture of which women own a minimum of 51%. In the case of a proprietorship or partnership, the daily management and operation of the business concern is controlled y at least one of the women who own the business. In the case of a corporation, women stockholders must be in control of the management and daily business operations, and a majority of the directors must be women.
“VOBE – Veteran Owned Business Enterprise” is registered with the Veterans Administration or with the US Dept of Veteran Affairs.