Citizens Energy Group urges all customers to have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms on all levels of their home and establish a home evacuation plan, which they practice with their family. Citizens also recommends that every home have at least one dual sensor smoke alarm, which include both ionization and photoelectric technology to detect both fast-moving and slow smoldering fires. More information about smoke alarms is available from the U.S. Fire Administration.
Home Heating Tips
- Heating is the second leading cause of all residential fires following cooking. Have your furnace and chimney inspected annually and be mindful that using alternative heating sources can be dangerous.
- Citizens urges everyone to have working smoke detectors on every level of their home. Check them monthly and change the batteries every six months.
- Be careful using any kind of space heater; create a three foot safety zone, taking special care to keep the space heater away from anything that burns, like furniture and draperies.
- Only use approved fuel burning space heaters indoors. Fuel burning space heaters can create deadly carbon monoxide (CO), a toxic, odorless gas when used improperly. If you suspect CO, get fresh air and call 911.
- When using kerosene heaters, never refuel inside the home, don't overfill, provide adequate ventilation and always follow manufactures recommendation.
- Don't heat your home with a gas oven. Long-term, continuous use of a natural gas oven can create a buildup of carbon monoxide in your home that can be harmful or even fatal.
If you are currently without heat and cannot afford to have your gas service reconnected, please call our Crisis Hotline at (317) 927-4798. Help may be available.