Investing in Education
Citizens believes a sound education system is the foundation of every great community. That’s why supporting education programs from elementary school through college is a key part of our Community Investment Program.
- ReadUp - The utility is currently providing volunteers and financial support to the ReadUP Program, which is helping fourth graders at IPS School 14 become better readers. After less than one year, the ReadUP program is already helping the students make dramatic improvement on standardized reading tests.
- Charter Schools - Citizens has been an active sponsor of the development of charter schools in the city of Indianapolis including the Indianapolis Metropolitan Academy and the Charles A. Tindley Charter School.
- BackPack Attack - Citizens has been a proud sponsor of the BackPack Attack program that provides back to school supplies to at-risk youngsters. According to United Way, nearly 80 percent of IPS students start the school with inadequate school supplies.
- IUPUI - At the college level, Citizens is a sponsor of one of the learning spaces at the new IUPUI Campus Center. The utility has endowed the Dr. Lehman Adams/Citizens Gas Scholarship, which annually is given to a minority dental student at IUPUI.
- IPS Hall of Fame - Since its inception, Citizens has provided leadership and been the title sponsor for the Indianapolis Public Schools’ Alumni Hall of Fame.
- Training Inc. - In the past five years, Citizens Energy Group has twice been honored as the Employer of the Year by Training, Inc., a nonprofit organization providing low-income residents with job skills training that helps them obtain living-wage employment.